Eczema is a condition that leaves a red, scaly rash when the skin comes into contact with an allergen. It can present in many forms, anywhere on the body, and is one of the most common skin conditions we treat at Anchorage Dermatology & Cosmetics. Eczema is not contagious and can be induced by a predisposition in your genetic makeup, environmental factors, or even stress.
For many, eczema first appears early in life, often as a baby or young child, and can be diagnosed and treated at almost any age, with the presence of eczema having a good chance of going away on its own. Eczema presents itself differently in each patient with various symptoms depending on the severity and location of your eczema flare-up.
Common symptoms of eczema include:
- Dry, sensitive skin
- Red, inflamed skin
- Irritation and itching
- Areas of severe inflammation
- Rough leathery patches of skin
There are many ways to treat eczema with the most critical element of the treatment plan being stress management to help avoid triggers, allergens, and to prevent the eczema flare-up before it appears.
Other treatment options include:
- Implementing a daily bath and moisturizing routine
- Over-the-counter medications
- Topical creams and ointments
- Phototherapy (the use of condensed rays of light to mitigate the appearance and discomfort of eczema)
- Avoiding exposure by identifying your triggers
For more information on eczema or to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (907) 865-8455.